Totally Accessible Homes - Universal Design, Aging in Place

Totally Accessible Homes
Accessible Renovations
Universal Design, Aging in Place

Accessible Products MENU


We understand that home remodeling has cost associated with it that many people find intimidating. Because we specialize in home accessibility remodeling, we have more experience in the remodeling needs of an accessible home. Our prices will tend to beat other bids simply because with experience comes familiarity, with familiarity come more efficiency, and with more efficiency comes faster turnaround times. Faster turnaround times lead to less man-hours on the job which equals a better job for less money for the customer.

Vet Fran

Find Financing Options for Your Next Universal Design Remodel

While we do not offer financing, we do offer the best value for your dollar. We understand that Medicare does not cover everything you need so we have gathered some information that might help you out. We will give you a written estimate that can be given to your financial institution if you need a loan to complete the work that you need to have done.

Finance Options:

Veteran’s Administration

The Veteran’s Administration can help US veterans pay for some of their accessibility related changes to their home. Call 1-877-222-VETS to find out if you qualify.

Area Agency on Aging

Your local Area Agency on Aging may use funds from the Older Americans Act Title III to help local seniors install accessibility related purchases. Find your local Area Agency on Aging by calling (800) 677-1116.

Federal Housing Administration

The FHA, which is part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), can help you secure a loan to pay for your accessibility related purchases through a mortgage insurance program. Call your regional HUD office for more information. To find your local HUD office, visit or call (202) 708-1112.

Banks and Credit Unions

Many banks and lending agencies offer loans for people who want to install a accessibility related purchases. They also offer reverse mortgages that allow homeowners to turn the value of their home into cash. A HUD-approved housing counseling agency can help you decide if a reverse mortgage is right for you. Call your bank to find out if they offer a low-interest loan you can use to help pay for your accessibility related purchases.

Health Insurance?

Many people don’t know that some private health insurance or long term care insurance plans help pay for accessibility related purchases. Call your health insurance provider to find out if you qualify for financial aid before you purchase your accessibility related purchases.

Internal Revenue Service

Your accessibility related purchases may actually qualify for tax deductions. For example, you might be able to deduct the cost of installing your accessibility related purchases if it increases your property’s resale value and has been prescribed as a medical necessity. Read IRS Publication 502 or call the IRS at (800) 829-3676 to find out if you qualify for such a tax deduction.

Veterans Seeking Assistance from the VA

The Department of Veterans Affairs has three programs that give cash grants to qualified veterans with disabilities for safety improvements in the home.

  • The Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant can be used for improvements such as wheelchair ramps and door widening, lowering kitchen and bathroom counters and sinks, installing elevators and accessibility related purchases, and many more. Maximum grants are currently $4,100 for veterans with a 50 to 100 percent service-connected disability, or $1,200 for veterans with disabilities that are not service related.
  • VA provides grants to Service members and Veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities to help purchase or construct an adapted home, or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability. Two grant programs exist: the Specially Adapted housing (SAH) grant and the Special Housing Adaption (SHA) grant.

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant

SAH grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities live independently in a barrier-free environment. SAH grants can be used in one of the following ways:

  • Construct a specially adapted home on land to be acquired.
  • Build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing.
  • Remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing.
  • Apply the grant against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of an adapted home already acquired without the assistance of a VA grant.

Specially Housing Adaptation (SAH) Grant

SHA grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities adapt or purchase a home to accommodate the disability. You can use SHA grants in one of the following ways:

  • Adapt an existing home the Veteran or a family member already owns in which the Veteran lives.
  • Adapt a home the Veteran or family member intends to purchase in which the Veteran will live.
  • Help a Veteran purchase a home already adapted in which the Veteran will live.
  • The SAH and SHA benefit amount is set by law, but may be adjusted upward annually based on a cost-of-construction index. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SAH grants in fiscal year 2013 is $64,960. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SHA grant in fiscal year 2013 is $12,992. No individual may use the grant benefit more than three times up to the maximum dollar amount allowable.

A qualified veteran can receive both an HISA grant and either an SAH or SHA grant. To apply for the HISA grant, you should complete VA form 10-0103 and send it to your local VA medical center. To apply for an SAH or SHA grant, complete VA form 26-4555 and send it to your VA regional office. For more information, call 1-800-827-1000 or go to the websites on HISA and on SAH/SHA.

Reverse Mortgage

Today Reverse Mortgages are a common item that many senior citizens are using to use the equity they have in their homes. The average Cost of one year in a nursing home in America in 2012 was $97,000. Our customers that own their home can obtain a reverse mortgage to renovate there home to allow them to stay in the homes longer. In almost every case, the cost of the renovation will be less than the cost of one year in a nursing home.

c 2013-2016 Totally Accessible Homes, Corporate Headquarters: 818 Old Ailey Lothair Rd, Ailey, GA 30044
All Rights Reserved